Pimento or Allspice Dram has been a Caribbean secret for many years. It just adds a little something to tikki drinks that nothing else can accomplish. It seems really potent at first, but don't let that scare you away. It is totally worth it.
-750 ml Lemon Hart 151 Demerara, Don Q, or Bacardi 8 rum.
-3/4 cup whole dried allspice berries
-3/4 cup of unsulphited molasses
1. Using a mortar, coarsely crush the allspice berries and place in a jar.
2. Cover with the rum and seal tightly. Let the mixture steep for 2 weeks.
3. Strain through a fine mesh strainer.
4. Add 3/4 cup of unsulphited Molasses.
5. Mix until dissolved and bottle it into a clean, air tight bottle.
6. Age it for at least one month.
-Age is needed for this to come together!
7. Filter through a coffee filter or pour the clear liquid off the top. Around 30% ABV.
Allspice Dram Cocktails!
1. In a shaker about half-full with ice cubes, add:
-1 oz light rum
-1 oz gold rum
-1 oz 151 demerara rum
-3/4 oz lime juice
-3/4 oz pimento dram
-1/2 oz grapefruit juice
2. Shake well to blend and chill, then strain into a double rocks glass filled with crushed ice.
The Ancient Mariner
1. Add the following to a shaker:
-1 ounces Demerara Rum (not the 151-proof kind)
-1 ounce dark Jamaican rum, such as Coruba
-3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
-1/2 ounce fresh grapefruit juice
-1/2 ounce simple syrup
-1/4 ounce Pimento Dram
2. Shake and pour into a highball glass. Garnish with a lime wedge and a mint sprig
1. Add the following to a shaker of ice:
-1 ounces silver tequila (100% agave)
-2 ounces Rothman & Winter Orchard Pear
-1/4 ounce allspice dram
-1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
2. Shake and pour into a highball glass. Garnish with a fresh or dried pear slice.