This beer was designed to enhance citrus flavor for a nice refreshing brew. The wheat and oats make this a cloudy beer, but with enough time in the fridge, it will eventually clear. The first one was made around Halloween with blood oranges, hence the name.
The idea behind this beer is an extreme reinforcement of citrus flavor. Blood orange, coriander, citra hops, and orange blossom honey all come together and make an extremely citrus forward and fragrant beer.
Blood Moon Witbier - 5 gallons
1. Steep the following specialty grains at 160 F for 20 minutes in 2.5 gallons of water.
-8 oz Flaked Oats
2. Bring to a boil, kill heat, and add the following:
-6 lbs Wheat LME
-3.3 lbs Pilsen LME
3. Bring to a boil and add the following hop/spice schedule:
-1 oz Hallertauer at 60 minutes
-1 tsp Coriander at 10 minutes
-Juice and Zest (no pith) of one blood orange at 5 minutes
-1 oz Citra hops at Flameout
-12 oz Orange Blossom honey at flameout
4. Cool with a wort chiller and add water to 5 gallons.
5. Add 2 activated smack packs of Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier.
SG = 1.068
FG = 1.004
ABV = 8.4%