The first brew I ever made was a Mr. Beer kit Big Ed's Red. It was a big, malty, balanced beer. A very easy first beer and a real crowd pleaser. The kit is no longer available and the recipe is impossible to find now. Luckily, I adapted the recipe to make an even better version with fresher ingredients!
Ed Seniors Red Ale- 5 gallons
1. Bring 4 gallons of water to a boil.
2. Turn off heat and add the following:
-3.3 lbs Amber LME
-3.3 lbs Wheat LME
-3.3 lbs Munich LME
-1.5 cups Honey
3. Bring to a boil and add the following hop schedule:
-2 oz Cascade at 60 minutes
-1 oz Williamette at 30 minutes
-Whirlfloc at 15 minutes
-1 oz Williamette at 10 minutes
-2 oz Williamette at Flameout
4. Cool and transfer to carboy.
5. Add water to 5 gallons.
6. Pitch 2 packs of US05 rehydrated in an equal volume of GoFerm.
SG = 1.08
FG = 1.018
ABV = 8%