I'm placing this in the beer section, but technically, this is a type of mead... or craff. Though this has some unusual additions (apple cider), but it makes a wonderful Fall braggot.
Braggots in my house are as fleeting as a solar flare, hence the name.
1. Steep the following specialty grains at 170ºF for 20 minutes in 2.5 gallons of Ozarka spring water.
-1.25 lbs Crystal Rye
-0.625 lbs Belgian Cara 45
2. Remove grains and gently squeeze to extract all the malty goodness.
3. Bring to a boil. Kill heat and add 6 lbs Golden LME.
4. Boil for 30 minutes with the following hop schedule:
-1 oz Chinook for 30 min.
-1 oz Perle for 20 min.
-1 oz Centennial for 10 min.
-1 oz Cascade for 5 min.
5. Add 4 lbs of Orange blossom honey while cooling with a heat sink coil.
6. Add 1 quart Apple cider and water to 5 gallons.
7. Pitch 2 packs of US-05 rehydrated with an equal weight of GoFerm.
8. Once FG is reached, bottle or keg. Carbonate with tabs or force carbonate.
SG = 1.089
FG = 1.014
ABV = 9.4%