This mead is truly wonderful. It has a nice ginger bite with an intense aroma from the galangal. Szechuan peppers add a little citrusy something that really rounds out the flavor. The marshmallow root provides a hint of vanilla while increasing the body of the mead. It took quite a few tries to get the spices right on this one. It is really good at a month, but 6 months is amazing!
Herbal Ginger BOMM - 1 gallon
1. Make 1 quart of tea with the following ingredients. Allow it to brew and cool.
-1 TBSP Ginger
-1 TBSP Galangal
-1/2 TBSP Marshmallow Root
2. To a 1 gallon bottle, add 3 lbs orange blossom honey.
3. Add cooled tea with herbs.
4. Add 0.25 tsp K2CO3 and 0.4 tsp Fermaid K.
5. Add 0.8 tsp Fermaid O; Add again at 1.09 and 1.05.
6. Add water to slightly less than one gallon.
7. Add one activated smack pack of Wyeast 1388.
8. Once the gravity hits 1.00, add 6 oz honey to reach 1.015. It generally stops at 1.01.
9. Now add the following spices:
-1 tsp Red Szechuan Berries
-1 tsp Green Szechuan Berries
10. At 10-14 days, rack off the Szechuan berries unless you want it really intense.
11. Cold crash to clear and bottle.