Note: This is a hybrid recipe for those who cannot obtain the nutrients needed for a BOMM or want a true 1 month JAOM.
Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (JAOM) is the mead most mazers start out with. Ingredients are at the grocery stock and it's fix and forget.
The only downside is that it really needs 6+ months to be drinkable. But man is it good.
In my typical fashion, I decided to make it in one month!
1. Start with 1 gallon Ozarka spring water.
2. Remove 1.5 cup water and draw a line at this water level.
3. Remove 4.66 cups of water.
4. Add honey back to previous line (3.5 lbs).
-Sue Bee Raw Honey is fine or your favorite varietal honey.
5. Add zest and fruit of one organic Valencia orange, no pith. If you like pith bitterness, add 1/4 of the orange pith.
6. Add the following:
~25 raisins (a small box)
-1/2 cup of dried currants for additional K+ and nutrients.
-1/2 small clove
-1/2 cinnamon stick
-1/8 whole nutmeg and 1 allspice berry
-1 vanilla bean
7. Add a smack pack of Wyeast 1388 activated for 2 hours.
This mead may or may not be clear in a month, but is perfectly drinkable in a month. Age doesn't hurt it though!
Use the highly technical pin pricked balloon airlock for JAOM authenticity!
Optional Addition: If you find the mead to be a bit sweet, you can add 1/4 cup of dried lingonberries for 2 week. The sour lingonberries balances the sweetness and is a nice addition to the perfumed aroma.