Better brewing through science.
This mead is violet in color. A gimmick for sure, but very pretty. The color comes from Butterfly Pea Blossoms. The tea is blue, but the acidity from fermentation turns the mead violet. The tea smells like green tea, but doesn't taste like anything. After fermentation, the smell is lost but the color remains.
Mana Elixir BOMM - 1 gallon
1. Add 1 cup of Butterfly Pea Blossoms to 1 quart of off boil water. Allow to stand until cool, then add strained tea to carboy.
2. Add 3.5 lbs of Orange Blossom honey to carboy (SG ~1.14).
3. Add 0.8 tsp Fermaid O, 0.4 tsp Fermaid K, and 0.25 tsp K2CO3.
-Add 0.8 tsp Fermaid O at 1.11 & 1.070
4. Add water to half gallon and swirl vigorously until most honey is dissolved.
5. Add water to 1/2 cup shy of a gallon.
6. Add a smack pack of Wyeast 1388.
7. It should finish around 1.020.
8. Add the following spices:
-1 oz thinly sliced, fresh Ginger (skin on)
-1 whole Star Anise
-2 whole vanilla beans
-1 stalk fresh lemongrass
9. After a week or to taste, rack off spices and cold crash.
SG - 1.140
FG - 1.020
ABV - 15.7%