This mead is based on a oil called Thieves Oil. Apparently, this oil could prevent the Black Plague from infecting thieves stealing items from the infected dead. I cannot vouch for that, but I can say the combo of mint, rosemary, cloves, cinnamon, lemon and eucalyptus is quite tasty!
Downside? Eucalyptus is toxic so I needed the bees to detoxify it. Guess where you get Eucalyptus honey? Australia. Not cheap (for me), but tasty!
I stole this idea from someone. Don’t tell them.
Thieves Mead: 1 gallon
1. Make 1 quart of tea with the following:
-4 sprigs Mint
-2 Sprigs Rosemary
-1/2 stick Cinnamon
-Lemon zest from 1 lemon
2. Allow to cool, then add to carboy with 3.5 lbs of eucalyptus honey, 1 clove and a sliver of cinnamon.
3. Add 1/4 tsp Potassium Carbonate.
4. Add 0.4 tsp Fermaid K.
5. Add 0.8 tsp Fermaid O. Add this again at day 2 and 4.
6. Allow to ferment to ~1.020, then add any off the original tea spices you think it needs. (I didn’t, but it’s an option).
7. Cold crash until clear and bottle. Enjoy in secret.