Meadowfoam is a wonderful varietal honey with a distinctive marshmallow flavor. Meadowfoam honey with the BOMM protocol yields extremely strong marshmallow flavor that intensifies with age. So far, it is the only yeast I've found to do Meadowfoam honey justice. It has to be sweet in order to get the marshmallow character (if dry, a bitter character is apparent). Here, I take a minimalist approach to get a stellar traditional sweet mead.
Sweet Meadowfoam BOMM - 1 gallon
1. Add 3.5 lbs of Meadowfoam honey to carboy (SG ~1.14).
2. Add 0.4 tsp Fermaid K, 0.25 tsp K2CO3, and 0.8 tsp Fermaid O.
-Add Fermaid O again at 1.110 & 1.070.
3. Add water to half gallon and swirl vigorously until most honey is dissolved. Note: Meadowfoam honey is often crystallized, so it can be tough to pour and dissolve. Don't worry if it is not all dissolved.
4. Add water to 1/2 cup shy of gallon.
5. Add a smack pack of Wyeast 1388.
6. It should finish around 1.020. After, cold crash and bottle.
SG - 1.140
FG - 1.020
ABV - 15.7%