Szechuan peppers have an interesting numbing effect in traditional Szechuan cooking. In mead, the numbing effect doesn't come through quite as strong, but the citrus taste and aroma come through beautifully.
This mead is worth making for the aroma alone!
Szechuan Pepper BOMM - 1 gallon batch
1. Remove 1/2 cup water from a 1 gallon Ozarka spring water bottle.
2. Draw a line at this water level.
3. Remove 4.66 additional cups of water.
4. Add 3.5 lbs Orange Blossom honey (SG 1.140) back to line (3.5 lbs=4.66 cups)
5. Add the following spices:
-1.5 TBSP Red Szechuan berries
-1.5 TBSP Green Szechuan berries
-1 tsp Tellicherry Black Peppercorns
6. Add 1/4 tsp K2CO3. One time addition.
7. Add 0.5 tsp Fermaid K and 0.79 tsp of Fermaid O. Add 0.79 tsp Fermaid O again at 1.110 & 1.070.
8. Cap the jug and shake until honey is completely dissolved.
9. A an activated smack pack of Wyeast 1388 and airlock.
10. Allow to reach FG of 1.020.
11. Cold crash until clear and bottle.