This be a hoppy American amber ale to encourage all yer plundering maties. Smooth with a nice hoppy balance and a massive hop flower nose. Makes you forget yer rum if you have a few!
Arrrrmber Red Ale - 5 gallons - BIAB
1. Bring 7 gallons of water to 160°F with your BIAB bag in the pot.
2. Add the following grain bill:
-10 lbs 2 Row Malt
-4 lbs Vienna Malt
-6 oz Crystal 120
-4 oz Crystal 80
3. Mash until starch conversion test shows complete conversion. Mine took 45 minutes.
4. Hoist grain bag out and allow to drip while starting the boil. Light squeezing of the grains is fine.
5. Once the wort starts to boil, add the following hop schedule:
-1 oz Chinook for 1 hour
-1.25 oz Crystal and 1.25 oz Cascade for 30 minutes
-1 oz Crystal, 1 oz Cascade, 1 oz Mosaic for 5 minutes.
6. Cool wort to 85°F with a wort chiller routed through ice water.
7. Transfer to fermenter and add water to 5 gallons.
8. Add 2 packs of US-05 rehydrated in luke warm water for 10-15 minutes.
9. Allow to ferment to stable gravity (~1.012), and add the following dry hops for at least 1 week:
-1 oz Cascade, 1 oz Cenntenial, 1 oz Crystal, 1 oz Citra.
10. Keg and force carbonate to 3.0 volumes of CO2.
SG - 1.085
FG - 1.012