Mauby is Bark from a Caribbean buckthorn that was historically used for an alcoholic beverage called Mavi. Nowadays, it’s mostly used in soft drinks. Let’s bring back the good days and make mead with it!
1. Add the following to a French press:
-5 grams Mauby Bark
-0.25 stick of cinnamon
-1 bay leaf
-1 sprig rosemary
-0.5 tsp marjoram
-1 star anise
-1/8 whole nutmeg
-orange zest from 1 cutie orange
2. Steep in 1 liter of off boil water.
3. Allow to brew 15 minutes, then strain liquid into a carboy with cold water.
4. Add 3.25 lbs of Huajilo honey and 4 oz blackstrap molasses to carboy (SG ~1.140)
5. Add 0.8 tsp Fermaid O & 0.4 tsp Fermaid K and 1/4 tsp K2CO3.
-Add Fermaid O again at 1.105 & 1.065.
6. Add cold water to 1/2 cup shy of gallon.
7. Add an activated smack pack of Wyeast 1388.
8. It should finish around 1.015. After, cold crash and bottle. Or drink it cloudy. I won’t judge.