This beer is very unique. The heather comes through very strong and the beer ages exceptionally well. I have batches 3 years old that are still stellar. Make a lot and put it back!
It is extremely light despite being 13% ABV and the alcohol is barely detectable. You've been warned.
Flowery Kilt Scottish Ale (Froach Heather Ale) - 5 gallons
1. Steep the following specialty grains at 170 F for 25 minutes in 2.5 gallons of water.
-8 oz Caramel 20L
-2 oz Biscuit Malt
-1 oz Roasted Baley
-1 oz Peated Malt
2. Kill heat and add 12 lbs Maris Otter extract and water to 5 gallons.
3. Bring to a boil and add the following hop schedule:
-1.5 oz Syrian Goldings at 60 minutes
-2 oz Fuggles at 10 minutes.
-1.5 lbs of Ames Farms honey at flameout.
-4 oz heather flowers at flameout.
4. Cool with a wort chiller and add water to 5 gallons.
5. Pitch a 3 day old, 2 liter starter of Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale.
SG = 1.110
FG = 1.010
ABV = 13.1%